The date from which there has existed a building for worship on the present site is unknown, but certainly from 1884 onwards there stood on the site now occupied by the vicarage a corrugated iron church. It was just prior to the first world war that the people of Belvedere set about the task of trying to replace the tin tabernacle as it was sometimes called, with a more permanent and worthy building in which to gather for the worship of Almighty God. Work had already begun before the declaration of war in 1914, but in the face of great difficulties the work went ahead, and on the 26th June 1915 the Foundation Stone was laid by Mr. T.C. Dewey, who was the architect of the proposed new church. Tremendous efforts were made to raise the necessary money for the completion of the new project, and although the west end had to be finished in wood, on November the 4th, 1916 the new church was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Rochester. The Revd. T. Clegg Whittle who had hitherto been priest in charge of the mission church was Instituted as the first Vicar.