St Andrew’s is a little unusual, because it was founded in the 20th century after pressure from local people for a new parish church. When the Albany Park estate was built in the 1930s, the nearest Anglican church was about 2 miles away
To meet the needs of local people during the war, in 1944, the vicar of All Saints in Footscray started holding communion services in a room over the shops in Lewis Road
By 1946 a hall in Wren Road was being used officially for the St Andrew’s congregation, as a daughter church of All Saints, Footscray
From 1954, a priest was appointed to care for the people of Albany Park; services continued in the hall for another decade
Eventually plans were approved to build a church building in the centre of the Albany Park estate.
At one point the church held services on the empty site before the building work started.In 1964 building work started.
The building was completed in 1965 and St Andrew’s was established as a separate parish in 1969